After independence from British rule, the Infantry School was established at Kakul in 1947. Colonel N J G Jones, MBE was appointed the first Commandant of the School on 12 January 1948. The School was moved to its present location at Quetta in 1948 and was assigned the responsibility of weapons training only. Tactical training was organized under the Command and Staff College Quetta.
The Institution continued to function as "INFANTRY SCHOOL" till the end of 1956. In January 1957, the School was reorganized and the tactical wing from the Command and Staff College was amalgamated in it. Consequently, the School was renamed as "THE SCHOOL OF INFANTRY AND TACTICS".
In 1981 a Research and Development Wing was added to the School. The wing is responsible for conducting trials on infantry weapon systems, reviews, tactical doctrines and updating all military publications. Since its inception this wing has made substantial contributions to the Army in general and the School in particular.
When Pakistan began participating more effectively in United Nation Missions, a need was felt to impart pre-departure training to the officers and men proceeding on such assignments. In order to meet this requirement, Peace Keeping Training Cell was added to the School in 1994. The cell is responsible for educating officers of Pakistan Army and friendly countries in duties related to employment under aegis of United Nations.
The School emblem was adopted in December 1953 which consisted of Roman Shield featuring a bayonet. This crest remained in vogue till 1956. In 1957 while undergoing major reorganization, the structure of the shield was changed from Roman to Muslim (Circular Shield). The Bayonet retained its central place with a blood red background.
The School is located five kilometres north-east of Quetta, the capital city of Balochistan Province. Quetta, once an isolated and out of the way military cantonment, is today a thriving capital of the province of Balochistan. Located at a height of over 5000 feet above sea level, it is surrounded by barren mountains with several peaks towering to a height of over 10,000 feet. The Quetta Valley itself, although not profusely vegetated, is turning greener by the year. In the summers, fruit laden orchards present a very attractive sight. Although a small city, Quetta has over the years acquired the typical hustle and bustle of a provincial metropolis with a population of over 1.6 million. Both, the city and cantonment continue to modernize at an equally fast pace.
Quetta has a dry and healthy climate, with no factory smoke to pollute fresh and invigorating mountain air. Winters in Quetta are severe and last from mid October to end March. The temperature during winters, falls to minus 15 degree Celsius necessitating the use of heavy quilts, blankets and heating arrangements. Springs in Quetta are normally pleasant and last from end March to end April. Summers are mild by Pakistani standards and normally stretch from May to August. The maximum temperature during the day seldom exceeds 41 degree Celsius during the hottest period. Evenings and nights are usually cool. Autumn comes in the months of September and October. Snow generally stretches from December to March.
Flying time to Quetta from Karachi is about one hour. There is one flight daily from Karachi to Quetta. By train, Bolan Mail takes 20 hours. Both modes of travel are comfortable. However, train booking is required to be made at least 72 hours in advance.
SI&T being the premier institution for training junior leadership of Pakistan Army, undeniably prides itself to be the custodian of infantry combat culture. It will maintain focus on integrated / combined arms training parameters. SI&T will continue to transform into a “combined arms training intuition” and will contribute to develop thinking leaders with clarity of mind, initiative and foresight. In this regard efforts will be focused on improving intellectual outlook of the students besides imparting hardcore professional training, thus infusing competence to undertake tactical missions under conventional as well sub conventional warfare. The Infantry School will provide a balance fusion of education and training to its alumnae for ambiguous, uncertain and complex threat in the resource constrained environment. Focal point of the entire endeavour will be, “To produce combat worthy Junior Leaders, equipped with requisite professional knowledge and competence to effectively respond to changing / fluid combat situations, through a directive control, by focusing on development of leadership traits and basic skills for conventional and unconventional operations”.
For the recreation of officers a movie is screened every week
The School has a few riding horses for officers interested in riding
It is not very far from the School and offers all the recreational facilities of indoor and outdoor games
For the recreation of officers a movie is screened every week
Over the years, the school campus has been vastly expanded in terms of training, administration and recreational facilities with a view to providing ideal environment to the students. All possible facilities available in the campus are within walking distance.
Sufficient residential blocks exist to house the students, besides having well established officers messes, shopping complex, internet cafe, telephone/ telegraph facility and a bank. The architecture of the school presents a tasteful blend of old and new construction which merges well with the surroundings.
Landscaping has been done with great care and the school is proud to have the largest collection of roses in the garrison which adds to its beauty.
The School recognizes the fact that extra curricular activities are an essential part of a student's life. Therefore, participation in a wide and diversified recreational and social activities is encouraged. A wide range of facilities and equipment for cricket, volleyball, baseball, basketball, tennis, squash, gymnasium and riding are offered.
The School is headed by a Major General. It has an Instructional Wing and School Headquarters. The School Headquarter is headed by Colonel General Staff and has two branches, which are General Staff Branch, Adjutant and Quartermaster Branch. General Staff Branch is headed by a Lieutenant Colonel where as Adjutant and Quartermaster Branch is being looked after by two Lieutenant Colonels. A Brigadier, also the Chief Instructor, commands the Instructional Wing. It has four Divisions and a Research and Development Wing.